1. The competition is open only to producers who are members or groups of members of the Bristol Film and Video Society, and whose films are deemed to be “group or individual” films and not “Club” films (i.e. films made with club funding and to club guidelines).
2. No film can be entered if it has previously been entered into any other BFVS Competition, unless it has been substantially edited.
3. Entries should be admitted in a YouTube compatible format, DVD or Blu-ray disc, which can be placed in a play list to enable smooth running of the films.
4. Entries must be clearly marked with their title.
5. Entrants may submit one or more entries to the competition.
6. Each entry to this competition must be accompanied by a completed entry form (one form per entry)
7. Each entry must be kept separate, and the medium used must contain ONLY the material entered into the competition.
8. The entry shall be handed or transferred via the Internet to the Competition Secretary or other designated Officer of the Society not later than 3 weeks prior to the competition show evening.
9. The entry may be of unlimited duration and on any subject acceptable to the BFVS committee.
10. The Society reserves the right to show only a part of the entry in the event that there is insufficient time for a complete screening plus judge(s) comments on the competition evening.
11. The Society reserves the right not to award all or any of the prizes in the event that, in the opinion of the Judge(s), no entry reaches an adequate standard.
12. An experienced film/programme maker, who is not a member of the Society, will judge the competition in advance of the show/award evening.
13. The decision of the judge(s) is final.
14. Competition entrants must advise the Competition Secretary at the time of submission of the entry if they DO NOT wish their film to be included in any selection of the BFVS members’ films intended to be shown to other clubs or in any other competitions decided at the committee’s discretion and at the club’s expense.
15. All material in the entry (sound and visual) must be the copyright of the entrant(s) or be royalty-free or licensed for public performance.
16. The entry must have been completed since 1st January of the year prior to the competition.
17. The winner will be awarded the Annual Trophy and a certificate. The runner-up will be awarded The Runner Up Cup and a certificate.
18. The judge(s) can also award “The Ray Buckland Trophy for Composition” and a certificate to the film that, in their opinion, exhibits the best pictorial composition.
19. The judge(s) can also award “The Don Smith Trophy” and a certificate to the film that, in their opinion, exhibits the best narration and/or the spoken word.
20. The judge(s) can also award the “Certificate for Best Newcomer” to the film that, in their opinion, is the best one from a member who hasn’t won a trophy before. They will need to tick the box on the entry form.
21. The judge(s) can award The Burris Cup to a film that, in their opinion, exhibits outstanding work.
22. The results and photo of the winners will be recorded on the web site.
Bristol Film and Video Society
The Annual Trophy Competition
The winner will receive the Trophy and a certificate.
The Runner-Up cup and a certificate will be awarded to the entry placed second.
The results and photographs of the winners will be recorded on the web site.
Revised, October 2019